Wednesday 5 December 2012

OUGD405 - How to Get People to Read More (2)

Now I had the vectors for each letter, I took a quote and put the letters together to form the sentence, just to see how they worked together before changing it into an actual font.


Now I am happy with the letterforms, I need to turn this into an actual font which can be typed with. To do this I must use Fontographer - a program used to generate fonts. It is something that I have not used before so this was a challenge for me, but it was quite straight forward once I started.


Base Fontographer

Importing the letterforms into separate boxes

Page when all have been imported.

Once I had finished, I generated the font so it can now be used to type with. I imported it to Font Book and started to type sentences with it to work out if I needed to make any changes to the kerning etc.


When using the font to write sentences there was an issue with the 'k', in the fact that in the alphabet it looks fine, but when in a word it does not look right. So because of this, I took the 'k' back to the original template I used and changed the layout of it so it was as wide as the letters with the semi-circles in.
New K

Final Font


My initial thoughts are that, with the change to the 'k', it all works well and the letters flow well and are ultimately easy to read. I tried it out with the sentence 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' - using four different point sizes to see how well they read.

No comments:

Post a Comment