Wednesday 5 December 2012

OUGD405 - How to Get People to Read More (3)

Once I was given the illustrated animals by Danielle, I started working the text around it, starting with a simple, consistent design. As I feel it is a group thing to do to arrange everything, I kept with the simple designs and will work on perhaps more complicated/interesting designs with everyone else's input.

To start with, I took one quote and one of the animals - the lion - and started doing a series of of digital variations to figure out how I wanted them all laid out. I wanted to keep them consistent, so whatever I decided upon on this one, would be how it goes for the others - which is why it was very important to work on all these variations.



I didn't want to make it too overpowering, so stuck to the colours of the illustrations to the most part. Each has at least two colours, one brighter, the other duller. For the important part of the text, I put in the brighter bolder colour, and kept the other in the second colour. However I quickly found I had to change a few of the colours to make them easier to see.

I eventually went with this one:


On the illustration they worked well and were easily seen, but in the letters they were barely seen on the page, so I had to make them a bit darker. I also made a few of the important words a brighter colour so they would stand out more against the other words and page.

Final ten

After completing these, I looked at how I could potentially make them more interesting to look at as an image. I just used a few circles overlapped, and at a lighter opacity to give a bit of a background to them. I think it works quite well, and I could incorporate different shapes, colours and sizes into each of the ten+ images.



I also looked a little bit into what could be used to join each image up when it's on the wall.
I thought something along this line meant that we could make it as dynamic as we wanted and move it around easily. As the whole idea is a journey, the closer you get to the next image, the bolder the circles get - sort of a visual representation of getting closer. I also had the idea that, as each image has their own specific colours, the circles could go through a colour change, so at one end, it's the colour of the starting point, and it would slowly change colour to the colours of the next one the closer you get to it.

Just an idea of how it could work:

No comments:

Post a Comment