Tuesday 22 April 2014

OUGD503 - Summative Evaluation

When I initially started on this module I was quite apprehensive and nervous about the outcomes that were required in the fact that this module is built up on competition/live briefs and not university driven briefs. I have never been one to show my work off in a very public way like these competitions so I knew it was going to be a challenge for me to adapt to this kind of working environment.

I quickly found that the quicker I threw myself into the briefs the easier it was for me to adapt to the idea of displaying the work on a public level. To overcome this fear I had, I threw myself into a small live brief almost immediately as I knew I would otherwise keep procrastinating to avoid the situation. I found that doing this benefited me greatly for the rest of the module as I was able to focus more on my design ideas for the brief instead of what other people would think of my work.

Through this module I wanted to push myself to do a variety of briefs as I had the feedom to do whatever I chose. I also wanted to design to various levels of outcomes, from very quick logo briefs to longer developmental briefs. I felt that this was the perfect module to get out as much as I put in for the briefs chosen. I do think I have achieved this and created outcomes to large variety of briefs.

Something I wanted to do was take on a large brief that was based around the idea of creating a campaign as this is something that I had an interest in. I decided that my main individual brief was the ideal brief to use to fulfil this as a campaign has a lot of elements to consider and a lot of developmental work needed to be successful.

I chose the Domino’s brief as my main  individual brief as this was the brief I felt would best suit my ability as a designer. It is a brand I am familiar with and the brief was something that excited me as the brand is known for its witty tone of voice. I thought that this brief was one where I could enjoy myself and have fun with the designs as there was not really much limit to what I could do within the restrictions set by Domino’s. I found that this brief was challenging and made me push my design skills to come up with solutions that fitted the Domino’s brand as well as were visually interesting.

This module has definitely been the one which has helped me develop as a designer as the situations in which I am designing have been real life situations with clients and reasons behind the designs. Doing these briefs has given me a good insight into the kind of work that is out there and the kind of variety of outcomes that are possible. 

I have also found that this module has been the one which has helped me with time management and organisation. With the briefs having deadlines that must be stuck to, I have been able to adapt myself and my designing into a routine which means I have maximum time at the end to develop the initial ideas and come up with an outcome that is pushing myself as a designer but also answers the brief.

While I have enjoyed the briefs I have fulfilled, I do feel that there are a couple of the smaller ones which are lacking in professionalism and time spent on them. I do think that halfway through the module I did get a bit lazy in terms of how much effort I put into a couple of these smaller briefs because I was concentrating on my main brief, however I have learnt from these and realise my mistakes in taking on these briefs and trying to design for them when I did not really have much intention of spending a lot of time on them.

Working in a collaboration has been the biggest surprise for me on this module. Previously I have not liked working in a collaboration and have not particularly found that the outcomes of those outcomes have been successful, however I found that working in a one on one collaboration has been successful and is something I now feel confident in doing. I was nervous about this brief initially as I am someone who likes to do quite a lot of work, and I did not want to be with someone who would take advantage of that and not do much themselves. Luckily I found that the partnership worked well and the balancing of the workload made it easier for me to focus on the elements that I find the most interesting and skills I wanted to achieve during this brief.

Overall I have enjoyed this module immensely and do feel it has been my most successful module in the amount that it has taught me, from conceptual design through to non-design related skills such as time keeping and organisation of work. I have found that this module has helped shape me as a designer and has given me the confidence to move forward with live briefs or competition briefs where my work will be public. I also feel the structure of the module has aided me in my development as a designer as it has been quite free in what briefs I fulfil, meaning I have been making my own decisions on the kind of work I have been creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment