Tuesday 5 March 2013

OUGD406 - Communication is A Virus (5)

Crit

After the crit I started work on the E-book. The function of the book is to be the dos & don'ts of twitter posting, so it will effectively tell someone what content to tweet and why, and what not to tweet and why. This will all be done in 5's, so the 5 do's & the 5 don'ts.
As the front cover was already designed, I started with a few ideas of how to layout the inside pages.
Page Designs
Each section will be split with a front page of 'Do' & 'Don't'. I wanted to keep it simple, so just these titles on a page. I started by looking at variations of the typeface to use.
The original typeface to be used throughout the book was the typeface I created from Adam's handwriting, 'Adam Sans'. However I found that as a title page, it didn't work as well, and just looks messy. I then decided to look at using Monoline Script as that's the front page text & the logo text.
I wasn't completely convinced by the Monoline Script so looked to other typefaces to use. I decided upon Bebas Neue as it is bold and stands out.
Along with this, the text on each page had to be chosen too. I knew that the text would all be in Adam Sans, but the numbers were what needed to be chosen.
Original intention was to go with Monoline Script, as it was like the front page & logo, so I started with this in the layout variations I created from the initial designs at the top. I also experimented with Adam Sand & Bebas Neue .
1.2.
3.4.
5.6.
7.
All layouts worked quite well, especially with the image in it. The one without the image looks a bit plain so I won't be using it. The image also gives the statement a bit of character and plays on the informal tone of voice. Using the Monoline Script & Bebas Neue typefaces worked a lot better than using Adam Sans as the number. With the whole text in it, and the number it is a bit of an overkill and too much. Something a bit smarter and bolder holds it together and keeps it looking professional, but informal.
I like the last one the most as it doesn't look like it's just been placed there randomly. The outline gives it a bit of a stance on the page, however the space around the outside still makes it look like it's just been placed there. So because of this I have decided to incorporate something to go in that empty space.

I started to look into a few designers, Mike Perry, Buro Destruct, Cody Hudson & Koen Taselaar as they all have a very similar style in hand drawn & digital work. It keeps in well with the informal and student approach that I wanted to keep through the project. 

Research

From this research I created this digital image to use. I kept it simple line drawings, taking most influence from Mike Perry & his screen printing images.
From this, I started to experiment with the colours and layout using this image.
1.2.
3.4.
5.6.
7.8.
Overall it worked well with the colours & layout of this page, especially number 1, 6 & 7. The colours in number 3 & 8 are of a too low opacity to be seen well and get the full effect, I think. It definitely looks better with the colour in orange instead of white, it stands out a lot more against the background.
The white will be good for the pages with the 5 do's & don'ts, but not for the title pages. So I will be doing the text pages with white & the title pages in the orange.

Final Pages


We also went around and put up the posters created by Grace & Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment