Saturday 13 October 2012

OUGD403 - Alphabet Soup: Typeface (3)

From the feedback from the crit I took on board what was said and started to create letter forms from simple lines & parts of other letters that I have used before.


I started with a simple 'X'. just using three separate lines to create the letter form. It's simple, and works well, and is a lot more clear than if I used the urban style artwork.

The next is the 'R'. I combined elements from the 'K', 'X' and 'O' to create this. I've done two slightly different versions, one a little simpler than the other, which I think works a little better as it's not as cluttered in the middle, but I do like the first one more.


I also started looking at the 'C', using the 'O' as a base. I twisted the inner curves around so it made a 'C' shape, and did  two different versions again, one more simple than the other. I think the more complex ones works better this time though, as there's a lot of white space between the curves in the simpler one, making it look pretty separate and not a full image, though I think perhaps there is one too many elements in the second.

I wanted to use the same elements of the '&' to create letter forms as I feel these ones above are all of the same style and I need to integrate both the styles together otherwise I'll end up with a few letterforms looking out of place. The only issue I have found is that the '&' is such an individual letterform and none of the letters are similar in the crossings across the letter, so this makes it a bit harder. I started off with the 'G' just sticking to the straight lines to create the letterform.

No comments:

Post a Comment