Wednesday 27 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design For Print & Web: Studio Sessions

Studio Session 1 - 27.11.13
For the beginning of this brief we were given ISTD brief packs from 2009, 2010 & 2011 and told to choose three briefs that we would consider doing to bring to the session.

Three chosen briefs:
The first thing we did in the session was read through the three briefs and highlight the words/phrases that initially drew us to the brief.


After a discussion on these, we were told to choose the one we wanted to work with for the brief. I chose 'Mutton Quad' - branding a typographically themed restaurant.
I found that out of the three that this was the one which appealed to me the most. It was the brief I initially thought I would do out of the three and doing this first bit of the session made that even clearer to me.
For the second part of the session we were given a series of questions to answer about our brief, essentially dissecting it and seeing what it all really was about and what we needed to do to fulfil it.

5 problems in the brief to solve & why?

  1. Create a concept for a typographically themed restaurant
  2. Integrate the type theme through everything
  3. Define audience & target market
  4. Define the environment & type of restaurant through design
  5. Language & food to be define by design

5 facts about subject & content

  1. Branding for a restaurant
  2. Typographically themed
  3. Designer chooses target market
  4. No clear indication into what type of restaurant
  5. No clear indication into what needs to be created

5 facts about the audience

  1. People who go to restaurants
  2. People who have an interest in food
  3. People who can pay - disposable income
  4. Local interest
  5. Broad age range

What do I want to communicate?

  1. Strong brand/theme of restaurant
  2. Good quality food
  3. Contemporary food & theme
  4. The price range/luxury of restaurant
  5. Typography can be manipulated & interpreted into food/restaurant

Things I don't know about this brief

  1. Audience
  2. Type of restaurant
  3. Required outcomes
  4. Tone of voice & language
  5. How much type to include - how much integration
  6. Reason for restaurant
  7. Location
  8. The food served
  9. Colour schemes - type/font choices
  10. Single restaurant or a chain?

After doing these questions we were given a blank brief and told to fill it in as specifically as we could with what we wanted to do in this brief. At this point I didn't feel comfortable enough with a concept to fill it in, so did a brain storm instead.
It is just a brief look into the brief as a whole, my general ideas at this point and everything I could potentially include while designing. I decided immediately that I would be working in print & putting in a proposal for web as I thought this was the most suited to the brief and that one I feel a lot more comfortable doing.
My overall feeling for this brief is that I wanted to do a contemporary restaurant with very clean cut design, perhaps only using one or two colours. It will be aimed at young professionals, and I wanted to incorporate a type-themed name and build on the concept from there. My initial thoughts is to do a luxury restaurant.
After brainstorming & getting a general idea I filled in the blank brief sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment