Friday 24 January 2014

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1: Main Competition Brief: Domino's (2)

After the final crit I thought about the feedback I got and how I could use this to develop my designs and overall concept. The main point of feedback was to make it more friendly to the individual or less offensive in general. I decided that I would make it more friendly for the individual. However I didn't want to necessarily change anything I had already done as I am happy with it all. I decided that I would work on expanding the campaign from what it is already. It will not necessarily be included in the submission for the competition, but it is development of the campaign.
I looked over everything I had done up to this point and decided on two additional designs that could be used in this campaign. The first is designing pizza box packaging which is integrated into the campaign. The second is to design some kind of application/advert for television.

I started with the pizza box. I wanted it to be eye-catching and exciting to look at. As this is what someone would receive after buying the deal, it doesn't make sense to have with any of the reasons on it, more of the afterwards of these reasons where they're told how awesome they are.
To make it eye catching I decided to use the same pattern that I had previously used on the flyers and on the website. I adapted it to fit the square shape of the box.
The next thing I needed to do was work on the text that will be displayed on it. I wanted it to be positive and happy. I also wanted to include a banner on some way as this is a strong item of branding that Domino's continuously uses, and is something that I have incorporated where I can.
I decided that the text would simply be 'enjoy' and 'you are so awesome', with the 'enjoy' in the banner.
For the banner I didn't want it to be just straight so went through warping it and decided on three that I thought could be worked into the design.
I then worked on the 'you are so awesome'. I wanted emphasis on the 'so' and for this text to be the centre piece of the design.
I then combined the three elements and experimented with the bannered text.
This one works ok but I do think the 'you are so awesome' is a bit too small and the 'enjoy' is too large and makes the image very unbalanced in general.
For this one I made the main text larger and moved the banner to the side. This one works better, however because there isn't much else to the image it does still look a little out of place. If there was more in the background working around it, then maybe it would be ok. Also the main text if off centre, which isn't something I want at all.
This one doesn't work at all. I tried moving the main text back to the middle but this moved the banner up and made the composition just not work well at all.
After trying these three I decided that it wasn't working because of how unbalanced they all look, with the banner on the top and nothing but the logo on the bottom. This was to do with the banner. It is quite short in length so needs to be at a large scale to make any kind of presence on the design.
To fix this I decided to change the text to 'enjoy your pizza!'. It makes the banner longer, so in turn it can be thinner even though it will be larger. I then decided that to balance it out I could have it above and below the main text. I decided that for this to work it would need to be a simple arced banner. I took away the logo and tested this out.
This works so much better as it is much more balanced in the general composition of the design. There is a clear centre and everything works around it. The one issue I now have is that the banners are folded the same way but arced in the opposite way, so the bottom one looks a bit out of place. 
To fix this I edited the straight banners and flipped one vertically.
I then arced both of these banners.
Once happy with the amount of arcing I added them to the design.
I then added the logo.
Overall this works together so much better than previously. It is much more balanced and the banners work well. To get the full effect of how this would look, I mocked it up onto a pizza box.
Putting it into situation is definitely a benefit as it shows the design on what it would be printed on. It looks much better like this than just as a flat design on Illustrator. While I was unsure of it previously, putting this onto the mock-up has made me more confident in the design itself.

After finished this box and being happy with what I had designed I moved onto the television application that could be part of the campaign. It is another way to attract the target audience as it would get them in their own homes.
I thought it could potentially be something that would appear when a film is just starting as a film is usually quite long and something in which people like to eat food while watching.

I started by creating a small image that could pop up when the film is just starting, giving the viewer the choice to press red to order a pizza.
I then needed to come up with something that would appear when the red button was pressed. I decided that when watching a film, nobody is going to want a full screen application to open, so restricted the design to about a third of the screen so it was more of a side bar.
I mocked up a couple of potential designs of what this could be.

However this was definitely not working at all. The information seemed to be a bit pointless because the viewer had already pressed red to order a pizza. They're not going to want this big pop out to tell them to press it again to order the pizza, they're going to want to order it straight away.
After finding this a bit of a pain to design for I decided on focusing on the potential of having a full screen pop up that could appear for ten seconds or so before a film started.
However this seemed as pointless as the designs above, so I scrapped this idea too.

For the minute while I am still in debate over the tv application and what it could be, I decided that I could expand the idea of the pizza box designs and create some kind of collection of mono-coloured designs.
Part of the design from the box above could potentially be used to make something look quite rustic and hand-made, and this is something I wanted to play on. I wanted the designs to be simple and mainly image based, with a simple 'enjoy your pizza!' as the text.
In the previous design I liked the element of everything being central and the focus point being the centre. I wanted to have an image of a pizza on it, but in the same style of the rest of the campaign.
I created four variations of the same design.
I think these work well because of the simplicity of the design. I think the image of the pizza also works well with the surroundings and fits in well.
I then mocked these four up onto pizza boxes.


These look much better in situation and I think they work really well. They're not necessarily backing the proposed campaign but as an added extra I do think it was beneficial to design these.

What I have to do now is figure out the tv advertisement/application in a way to integrate it into the campaign. Creating the pizza boxes also gives me an opportunity to expand the concept with these and potentially create new flyers/promotional material using these images.

No comments:

Post a Comment