Sunday 5 January 2014

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1: Main Competition Brief: Domino's (1)

After the session where we dissected our briefs, I started a brain storm of initial ideas and everything I knew about the brief so far.
I had three initial concepts, each which could go in different directions and target the audience in different ways. 
The first being a freshers fair pack which was have a primary focus on printed material. 
The second is a 'make-up' campaign - a campaign aimed at people who've had a falling out and need something to smooth things over. This could be a mixed media campaign.
The third is a more general campaign idea in '50 reasons to have two for tuesdays'. Aimed at a wider audience and giving them good reasons to have the deal. This could also be mixed media.

I decided on the third campaign as I had the most ideas for this and could see this happening a lot more than the other two. I also found the concept a bit more exciting than the other two.
From this point I did another small brainstorm, narrowing down exactly what I wanted to achieve and the design ideas I had so far.
After doing this I filled in the blank brief.

Once I had nailed the brief down with exactly what I wanted to do, I started to gather the research on Domino's & the competitors, looking into their advertising and current deals.


After doing this I looked over the limitations I had in this brief again. 

Colour Limitations
The colour palette is the biggest limitation given, with only the use of red, white & blue allowed, no tints or tones. This is something that I am going to have to continually work on through the brief and make sure I stick to these.

Type Limitations
The typefaces allowed aren't very varied, however I do think the ones given will definitely be enough for me to create an outcome for.
I will have to make sure I am using the typefaces in the circumstances in which they have been created for.

Logo Limitations
There are a lot of rules in regards to the logo and branding of the outcome. It is all quite simple to follow thanks to the images provided. What I will need to keep referring to is the sizing and clear areas around the logo allowed, especially if I am working on something which will be small media.
Branding
Do
Don't
Sizing & Clear Area

Stock Images
Another limitation is what images can be used. It is stated that only approved photography can be used, so I found the approved images which they allow the press to use. I found there were only three suitable for my concept.

I then started to design the logo for my concept. After looking over the current/past Domino's advertising I had a pretty good idea into the kind of aesthetic that they like and how they keep their work consistent.
For this brief they key is to keep everything consistent so I have decided that I will just use the main typeface they have provided 'Trade Gothic Bold Condensed No.20'. It is a contemporary typeface and I can see it working with all the ideas I have for the designs I want to create.

50 Reasons to have Two For Tuesdays
As Domino's advertising is primarily about the photographs and a little bit of type, I have decided to go the other way and make this brief primarily typographically based, with the use of stock images when necessary. This will give me a change to experiment with the one typeface and present it in different ways so it doesn't get boring.
Domino's also likes the use of banners, so this is something that I would like to incorporate to keep in with the branding.

For the logo I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to do. When thinking about how to make the numbers eye-catching, I thought of making them look like they've been hand-drawn, and in this, I thought if they're hand drawn I could get away with using another typeface as a base for this.

Logo
Once I finished this, I started working on the ideas I had for the main promotion. 
The media I want to focus on at the minute is posters that could potentially be placed outside as billboards or on the sides of bus stops. I started by making one of the reasons. This reason is relating to falling out with someone, and the reason for having the deal is to make up with them instead of apologising. I am going to use blue for the majority of the text, but have red to be the bit of text to stand out, and potentially white if used on a different coloured background.
I did two variations of this poster, one one a plain white background with a red and blue boarder, and the other on an image, showing the differences on how the same poster could be presented.
I decided that although the poster with the image on is striking, it doesn't really look much different to other pizza advertisements, so I will be going with the first one.
I found an image of a bus stop and took the sizing of the poster space, and then mocked up a poster so it would fit properly. I added a footer to promote the takeaway site to this poster as I realised I didn't have one above.
This works well and the poster is still as striking as it was when just a design as it stands out against the bus stop, and I think it will stand out against other advertising.

The next thing I did was start mocking up ideas for the website/app to support the printed campaign. This would be the interactive element to the campaign where customers can get involved by reading all fifty reasons in one place, ordering a takeaway or uploading their own reasons/images etc.

I wanted to use a mix of the stock images and vector type on this as it is on screen. 
I have found that although the logo works well, it is quite flat, so I wanted to give it a bit more of a character and make it stand out a bit more.  To do this, I added a blue background behind the '50' and off-centered it, so it gives the appearance of movement & depth.

I did two variations of this and decided to go with the second as it's the same direction as the same effect on the 'two for tuesdays'.
I did three variations, one all white, the other two using a stock image as a background.

Immediately I prefer the ones with the stock image in the background, so this will be the ones that I will be taking forward.
I then mocked up the front pages of the website onto various screen sizes to show how it would respond.

I think this has been successful and does work well on each of the screen sizes. The contrast of the white against the stock image makes the whole page stand out. I prefer the one with the logo at the top.
The next thing I did was mock up what a content page could look like, focussing on the 'upload' page. As there isn't any information on the homepage, these pages will need to have the information on to make sense to the user.
I added a paragraph of text and edited it so it was a bit more eye-catching. Having the contents box in red works very well, especially with the white header and against the stock image.
I tried out four different edits of the text. I wasn't quite sure which one to go with, as the one chosen would define how the rest of the content pages would have to look with their text.
While deciding this, I went back to creating the poster designs and found that the concept wasn't really working because I was already bored of it, which is a bit of an issue. There's not really much humour in it and it was starting to become more of a pain than I would have liked.
To this end, I decided to flip the concept around and design a campaign around the idea of '50 reasons not to have two for tuesdays', hitting on British humour by giving reasons relating to being a loner or the type of lifestyle that you don't want to have, and at the end saying that if you don't want to be this, find a friend and have the deal.
I think this will work a lot better because of the humour in it. It's not typical humour, but it does play on British humour.
From this point I reworked the first poster, changing the text that was originally on it.
I added the slogan 'Find a friend, have a two for tuesdays (then they'll have to say how awesome you are.)'. 
This is going to be something that I am going to use on as much of the content as possible as I think it is quite memorable and fits in with everything this concept is trying to put across.
As well as this, I created another poster which pretty much explains the concept behind the campaign.
I then took these and mocked them up onto the bus stop image, adding the 'order now' footer.
I think these work well, however the thing I am not happy with now is the typeface used for the number. Initially I liked it because it gave a bit of a hand-drawn look to it, but now I think it just looks out of place and not contemporary enough for the typeface used throughout.
So, I took this typeface and applied the same effect as the previous logo.
I then did the same with the numbers. For the numbers I found that it was quite hard to read the blue on the red so did a few different variations in an effort to make it more readable.
I chose the fourth one as it is the clearest and simplest one sticking in just one colour. I then added these two changes to the posters.
As well as these I created a smaller poster which could potentially be used as a a flyer/leaflet.
On a small scale the 50 was very hard to read so I edited this again to try make it more readable.
 The last one is the clearest to read so is the one I will be going with.
The posters I created above are lacking a bit of character so I wanted to make them all a bit more typographically interesting. I looked back over all of Domino's previous advertising and decided that the use of banners and doubled text would be the best ways to do this.
I started with the 'order now'.
This is a lot more striking than just red text and has a bit more prominence.

I then moved onto the three reasons I had and edited the type so they were more striking. I edited all three to be different.
The final thing I changed was the logo again. I found that the logo was a bit flat, so applied some of the same effects as I'd done above.
I think this works a lot better and fits into Domino's branding much more.

The next thing I started work on was creating some kind of leaflet/flyer to attract attention. I wanted them to be quite bold, and less about the 50 reasons, more about getting people's attention and to order the deal.
I wanted them to use all three of the colours boldly and have quite a simple design, and wanted it to be easily readable at a smaller scale. I also want both sides to be as bold as each other and not have a clear front and back. Initially I am designing it for around an A5 size, but I would also like to have them at half the size as well.
I think this is the most striking piece of design for the brief that I have made. It was very quick to make but definitely works the best in grabbing the attention of a viewer.

I then took the same idea as this and applied it to a design for a billboard. As well as this design, I wanted to incorporate the stock image in the background, just like I did in the website pages.
As a billboard I think this will work well and catch people's attention. I didn't want to have so much information on it so just made is as a version of the leaflet but larger.

I then went back to the poster designs and edited the type so it all stood out a lot more and was more visually striking. After this I then mocked them up into different potential scenarios.
The 'attention' poster works the best because of the diversity of the type on it, however the other two do work well too and would stand out amongst other posters because of the bold colours.

I then started on making the booklet which would hold all the 50 reasons. This is something of an added extra that could potentially be in the takeaway's themselves, or potentially be a mail-out in order to gain customers.
It is basically just going to be a way of displaying the 50 reasons in different versions to the posters that would be out in public.
Front & Back
Reason 34 - double page
Reason 12 & 13 - single page each
I think this has worked well as an added extra promotional piece.

After finishing all the printed elements I went back to the website design as I am unhappy with the overall look of it. Instead of the white on image, I want to use red as it is a lot more striking against the image.
The first thing I needed to do is somehow make the logo stand out against the red. To do this, I created a shape boarder around it to make it look obviously important.
I then added this to the newly made red slide.
The next thing I did was recreate the content pages.
Previously on the website there was nothing on the homepage, just the three links. This is what I wanted to change to make the homepage seem a bit more useful. The first thing I did was create the loading/landing page (above) and then for the homepage I decided that it would be the explanation of the website/explaining exactly why and what each link is for. To do this, I took the text from the 'attention' poster and edited it to fit the situation.
As well as this I wanted a new header to the website and way to navigate around it. Previously the links were just straight banners, but as I don't have these anywhere else they would look a bit our of place.
Taking influence from the leaflet design, I created a header that worked in the same way and is as bold as that. I then created the three links, and although initially they are on straight banners, I warped them so they followed the curves created in the header.
Homepage
As a homepage this is far more interesting than it was before. It has a lot more character and has a purpose now.
The next thing I did was mock these two pages up onto the different screen sizes and edited how they would appear on each.
I started with the iMac screen.

I think that having all the information on without having to scroll will make it seem small and like the user has zoomed the screen out, so the first thing I did was try it with a wider content box.
I then rearranged the type to see how it would work in different places.


I decided that I will just make the text larger and make it scrollable because there's no point having so much space and not using it properly.

I moved onto working on the iPad and iPhone screen sizes.
For these two I decided that the landing page would be without the red content box as it isn't necessary on these devices and everything can easily stand out against the stock image.
I then worked on mocking up the home page. I added an arrow to the bottom left so it makes it obvious that there is more content below. I decided that the content box needed to be larger as the screen is much smaller than a desktop/laptop screen, so it would allow me to put the information larger.
I mocked up the iPhone screen in the two different orientations. The portrait one works better but the landscape one in necessary to have.
I then worked on putting the home page to this size. I decided that because of how think the screen was, having the stock image would make the content box too thin and would make the content too small.
I then mocked up how it would look landscape. It would basically be the same, but zoomed in to fit the width of the page and scroll down to go through it all.
The macbook website is going to be exactly the same as the iMac one, just scaled down to fit the screen.
When making the content page, I made all the text much larger so it would be scrollable, and visually this works much better than I have done on the previous iMac mockup.
I then applied this to the iMac website, and already it looks much better and not as zoomed out as it did before.
I then went over everything again and applied some more changes to make it more readable and suit the screen size more.

Sometimes when on these devices, full screen ads come up, so I created two variations of what these could be.
After doing this I went back to the iMac and made a few final changes to make the text a bit bigger and readable.
The final thing I did was mockup what one of the 'reason' pages could look like on a iPhone screen.
After completing all of this, I printed out the booklet pages & flyers, and took pictures for the design boards to make them look like there are more than just the few designs I had done.
I then edited a few of these images down.

After completing everything I compiled it all into 5 design sheets to use for the first crit.

No comments:

Post a Comment