Friday 10 January 2014

OUGD504 - Design For Print & Web (7)

After the crit and finishing off everything I wanted to present, I reviewed everything I had to see if there was anything that could be improved.
The first thing I looked at were the print proposals that I had. As I made some of these before I made certain changes to the branding I wanted to make sure these fully reflected the brand and the design I wanted to put across in it.
I decided that having only one variation of the t-shirt design was something I could look into expanding on. I added another with the same design but the colours changed so it would fit with the colour of the t-shirt.
New T-shirts
I then updated the proposals for the takeaway coffee cups so it was much more realistic looking and the designs were better.
New Coffee Cups
I then updated the eat in coffee cup, showing the design of both the cup and the saucer.
New Coffee Cup
The next proposal I changed was the exterior wall sign. Before it was in a square, however after using circles for a large amount of the branding, it seemed fitting to use it for this as well.
New Sign
I also mocked up a potential window sign.
The next thing I did was think about way finding and interior signs in the restaurant itself. I wanted to keep everything simple and within the branding.
I started with the signs for the toilets, taking the shape of the circle with a strikethrough and adding the standard signs for the two different toilets in white.
The next thing I did was design the signs that would go on the counter, showing a customer where they would order and pick up their order. My initial idea was that theses would be sticking up from the counter on thin poles and would have large circles on with the instructions on.

However I then realised that this would potentially take up space on the countertop that could be used more efficiently. I then decided to change the direction of the poles, having it so the signs will be coming down from the ceiling instead. This means there is more room on the countertops and that no customers will miss the signs.

I then quickly mocked these up onto a background to give an idea of what these would look like in situation.
The next part of the interior proposal I decided to change was the interior wall design. In the crit everyone said I should include the photography elements a bit more because they were a strong element of my designing.
I had initially wanted to include these in the wall designs however thought that it would be going away from the typographical theme so decided against it. However after the crit I realised that it doesn't have to all be typographically themed as we rewrote the briefs ourselves, meaning I can do what I want as long as I keep it consistent.
For the interior wall I wanted to incorporate both the typographic pattern and the photography, keeping these in greyscale.
Photographs chosen:
The first thing I did was set if so there was a green typographical pattern over the wall. I thought green because of the use of greyscale images. This would create a balance between the colours and keep in with the branding.
The idea I had was that along the wall, at different widths, strips of it will be the photographs, and I will use green lines in different weights to frame these and add a bit more to the wall in general.
I chose out four strips at different sizes and shapes and used one image for each. To make them more interesting I decided to add the logo of the brand over the top in different positions and sizes in a filtered effect so the photograph can still be seen underneath.
I think these worked really well with the logo and makes them interesting images to look at instead of just some greyscale photographs.
I then placed these over the typographical pattern and added the green lines to finish it off.
Overall I am very happy with how this has turned out and it is far more interesting than the proposal I previously had. It just shows that I should have gone with my first instinct for this design as it works so much better.

The day after I completed these proposals I had a printing slot to print out all the final outcomes that I will be physically making.
These are:

  • 4 sandwich/sides packaging boxes
  • 1 menu
  • 1 takeaway menu
  • Coasters
  • Business cards
  • Loyalty cards
  • Drinks/condiment stickers
  • Sandwich/sides stickers
  • Branded stickers
  • Sandwich paper packaging
Everything printed:
Sandwich paper packaging
Sandwich boxes
Coasters, Business Cards, Loyalty Card
Takeaway Menu
Menu

I then cut everything down to size.
Baguette Box
Sandwich/Toastie Box
Wrap Box
Sides Box
Loyalty Card
Coasters
Business Cards
Takeaway Menu
Menu - Front
Menu - Page 1
Menu - Page 2
Menu - Page 3
Menu - Page 4
Menu - Page 5
Menu - Page 6
Menu - Page 7
Menu - Back
All of this went well. I faced one problem in this though. Half of the business cards were printed upside down on one side so I need to reprint these. As well as this for some reason the sheet with the business cards on got a bit caught in the printer and ripped a corner. Luckily this didn't affect the design, just a small offset of the text but nothing too major. Apart from this I am very happy with the way everything turned out.

The next thing I did was finish off the menu by binding it. I decided that I would do a simple 7 hole pamphlet bind.
Binding the Menu
After binding and cutting down the menu I looked over everything I had and decided that there were a couple more quick printed items that I could include. These being a letterhead and a receipt of some kind.
I started work on the letterhead, deciding on just a very simple layout with the logo and contact details at the top and then a bit of text along the bottom.
I then moved onto the receipt and decided that it should include a 'thank you' sign of some sort in it. Making a simple receipt is a bit boring so I wanted to make it seem a bit more considered and good quality than just a piece of paper.
I decided on having it like a small piece of folded card, with a thank you on the front and the receipt printed on the inside.
This would give me an opportunity to use the photographs again.
Following the same style as the menus I reflected half the photo onto the bottom, using the thank you in a circle to split these up. I then reflected this onto the back page as well, just without the circle.
I think this works quite well and will print and fold nicely.
I moved onto the inside once I was happy with this. I didn't want to use the photograph inside as they isn't much white space in them and I wanted the inside to contrast the busy outside. I decided on using the typographic pattern in grey as it is quite a light design. I then mocked up a potential receipt, showing what it would look like.
I then printed both of these out. I also printed out the business cards which came out badly yesterday. The first time I printed them for some reason they didn't come out quite straight so I needed to readjust my printer before trying again. The second time everything printed out much better and was all in line.
I cut these down and folded the receipt to see how everything looked. They all worked very well and I am happy with the way everything has turned out. Adding these elements gives a more complete overview of the brand and I am glad I have added them.
The next thing to do is to photograph everything. To start this process I thought about what colour I wanted to lie it all on for the photos. I decided that I couldn't do it on white because a lot of the printed items have white on them so it wouldn't be clear where the piece finished and the white started.
I decided on a mid-grey as this would contrast against the green and would be of a different shade to the greys I have used in the designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment