Wednesday 7 November 2012

OUGD403 - Message & Delivery: Posters (1)

Brief
Produce designs for a set of three high impact posters that deliver a personal identified message derived from your research into part one of this brief. The three posters should work as a set or series and be visually consistent. The first must be produced solely using type, the second solely with image and the third a combination of both type and image.
You are restricted to the use of two colours plus stock.
Three posters in a 2:1 format presented at A3 size.


I am going to focus on the idea of social media taking over the world's communication - sticking to Twitter as it's the most contemporary way, and is always featured in the news on stories with people's opinions.

Type
Initial ideas:



The main idea with this poster is sticking to the 140 characters, as that's how many characters are allowed in a twitter post. From this, I came up with the four sentences:

140 characters is the new #letter.
140 characters is the new #phonecall.
140 characters is the new #conversation.
140 characters is the new #communication.

All together, these four sentences do come to 140 characters, and they get across the message that I want.
The initial idea was the type them like a post: 
140 characters is the new #letter.140 characters is the new #phonecall.140 characters is the new #conversation.140 characters is the new #communication. 
However when I started working on variations, I found that this wasn't practical, and just to keep them as four separate sentences was the best thing to do, as it would be easier to manipulate and give a lot more freedom creatively.

The original idea for the type was the number in the twitter blue, the 'characters is the new' in black, and hashtag word in red. This gave each it's own individuality and didn't make the statement forgettable.

Although I like this as it is, I didn't feel that when the four statements were together, they all stood out on their own against the background, so I gave outlines to everything.

Digital variations:

Image

Initial Ideas:

I got the initial idea for this one first out of the three posters. I wanted to keep it simple, just combing together a couple of elements. This was mainly down to the fact that I could only use two colours and stock. I didn't want to make something overly complicated. I want it simple and straight to the point.
I combined two elements, the twitter bird and the world map.


This is the first one I did. The world map inside the twitter bird, with one colour, the map a few tones lighter. I felt it was a good starting point and was exactly what I was aiming for.

Digital Variations:

 

Both

Initial Ideas:

I found this one the hardest to do because there is so many possibilities and paths I could go down. It helped that I had basic ideas for the other two done. As they have to work as a set, I didn't want them all to be too different. I wanted to keep the same elements in each of them.
I used the two main elements of each - the twitter bird, and the main sentence from the type: 140 characters is the new #communication.

This is the initial poster I came up with, just using the twitter bird layered a few times to create a background, and simply putting the text over the top, and a small full twitter bird in the corner. I think it is clearly about twitter, and gets the message across. From this, I started creating variations using all of these elements and colours.
Digital Variations:


Initial set


No comments:

Post a Comment