Friday 16 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 1: An Introduction To Air Jordan (10)

Today I had another print slot, my last before the module deadline so knew I only had one chance to get this book and packaging completely right.

After the thoughts and issues I had the other day about the book and packaging, I decided that I would reprint the book and bind it with a hardback instead of soft. I think that this is a bit more luxurious and would give this feel and what Air Jordan is all about.

I decided that I was going to case bind it, which involves perfect binding and then creating a hardback cover and joining them together. With the print slot available I decided to print out the cover for this. I would glue this to the board to create the hardback case. I also reprinted the packaging, scaled to the size appropriate for the hardback book and making sure all the text was on it this time.

When I got everything printed I attempted to do this case binding, however it didn't go well at all. It looked good until I tried to shut it, where it all seemed to get a bit messed up and the case wasn't as big as it should have been, which was a shame. I think the stock used was a bit to thick to fold as cleanly to make the book shut properly, so this was a shame.

With this setback I was pretty much back in the same place as before with no clue how to do the cover for my book, and now the packaging would be too big if I were to just use the previous printed book I had. As there are no more print slots for me, and I wasn't sure if I would get a slot in drop-in I decided to make do with what I had an make it work, because I had all the elements, I just needed to make them work.

I designed a new back and front cover, and decided that I would bind everything together with binding tape as I had previously used this to much success and know it gives a smart appearance, and at this point, it's the best option as using this will mean that I should be able to open the pages of the book completely. I also edited the packaging to fit and created the second element to the packaging.

Once I was happy with everything I photographed it all, showing how the packaging works and how the final spreads look.

Final Images:

Packaging

Book:

This book definitely looks much better than the mock ups and previous attempts at the final book. I feel it is much more resolute and reflects the ethos of Air Jordan much more, with the binding method and way the packaging is made and presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment