Thursday 15 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2: An Exhibition (8)

After the crit I started working on developing the posters and creating some more promotional material for the exhibition.

I decided on moving forward with the posters being in the mixed colour, so moved forward with this, keeping them all in the same format, just using different images.


While I like these, I do think that there is an issue in the fact that using this colour, the blue logo is really the only one that can be used well. The red logo doesn't always work on the image, depending on how dark the colour gets, so I want to be able to create some posters where this red logo can be used.

I tried it the other way round, where the image was in monotone red and has a blue box covering it.


While these are successful in using the red logo, I certainly don't think they are as strong as the previous colour choice and I really don't like it.

With this in mind, I decided to simplify it down and create some posters which were just in the monotone colours, this way I would be able to use both the logo colours well.


I think they look ok, but not incredible. I still think the layout needs to be worked on, but using these colours is a possibility for the final posters.

I then took some influence from my exhibition book and tried it where the image has a coloured filter over half of it.


I tried it in both ways, but still don't think it works well. This time it's because of the text. It is easier to read on some parts than others, and as it's all vital information, I do want it to all be very clear against the image.

I took a step back and decided that at this point, creating these posters wasn't working well, so I should move onto something else. I decided that as I wanted the posters to all be different, but had created a couple of variations in the same appearance, I could use these to create flyers for the exhibition.

I took the first image (first of this post) and sized it down, keeping generally the same format. However, I looked in my brand guidelines to make sure I was following the correct formatting for this size media as I haven't worked in it before. I also made sure I was using the sponsorship logos correctly and to the right sizings, which I was fortunately.

For a media of this size (A5), the logo is to be in the middle of the top of the sheet, so I with this, I decided against using the other two images at the top of this post, as the logo would cover their heads. I found another image and substituted this for it.


At this point I am happy with what I have as I have used both coloured logos and it works well over them. I then worked on the back of them.

With them being flyers I didn't want a huge amount of information on them, just the logos, date, place and contact information. As the sponsorship logos are on the front, I decided that they did not need to be on the back, and because if they were on the back the display of the other information may suffer as the logos have to be at a certain size.

Going with the logos on the front, I kept this colour as the running colour for the backs. I decided that the text looked much better in black than in the red or blue as it is easier to read against the white.


As I am happy with these flyers I moved back to the posters with a couple of things that I had realised while doing the flyers. The first being that while the posters advertised the event, there was no venue. The second is that on top of this, there are no contact details either.

With this in mind I first added the website details to the bottom left hand corner, opposite the sponsorship logos.


I then added the venue just below the secondary logo.


What I thought at this point is the potential of these posters being all around the US. If this were to happen, the city and state would be a good thing to add, as some people who view it potentially might not know where this venue is and think that it's in the city they are.

Final Poster:

At this point I am happy with the progress I have made on the promotional side of the exhibition. I think that the addition of the flyers has worked well and has given me a good base for working with the elements I have on a white background, as well as on an image-based background. I think the layout of the poster is strong, and while I initially wanted all the posters to be individual, I think that I will keep this layout and change the image type, keeping them as a set, but keeping them interesting at the same time.

As I have a print slot coming up tomorrow I want to have all the posters done and the larger media done so I at least have these printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment