Tuesday 20 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2: An Exhibition (11)

Today I started photographing my printed work for this brief. As I now have everything printed, it means I can photograph everything at the same time and get all of this done and ready for the design boards.

I decided to photograph everything on the chipboard as this was a good contrast against all the colours I have used across this project.

Overall I managed to get a good 150 pictures. 90 of these were definitely good enough to go on my design boards.

A few samples of some of the photos taken:

All the images were quite dark as I couldn't use the flash because of the stock chosen, but I found that they were really easy to edit and turned out really clear and well. Some of them are slightly different colour tones - as shown above - so this will require some additional editing to get them all the same, however this isn't a huge concern for me as the quality of the work is more important than the colour of the chipboard, I think.

Overall I am really happy with everything photographed. It all turned out well, and was time worth spending to get it right. The colours have worked really well against the chipboard, and everything has photographed well, so this is something I am extremely happy about.

After completing the photography I moved onto putting together the proposals for the exhibition.

I already had proposals in the form of how the promotional material could be displayed out in public:

Large scale posters:

Editorial promotion:

Signage outside the venue:

I have also mocked up a website for the exhibition:

The first thing I decided to do was transfer this website onto a tablet/phone format. I wanted to keep the same general format but everything would obviously have to be moved around a bit because of the screen size and shape compared to the iMac. 

I mocked up the pages showing how the layout would look on these devices.

Home page:
Player page:
Information page:
I really like the way the layout worked on the tablet. I think it's actually better than how it looks on the desktop so decided to keep the same kind of format for the phone display.

As the menu bar would be too small to appear on the phone screen size, I changed it so it was a bit more useable, creating a bit of a menu page instead of a home page like on the desktop and tablet.

Home page:
 Player page:
 Information page:
Happy with this quick task, I moved onto the idea that I had early on in the brief about having an audio player App that was like a walk-through to the exhibition, which the person attending the exhibition could download and listen to while walking through, getting all the information about the players as they looked at what was being exhibited.

Because of time restraints, I didn't really have enough time to fully mock this up and develop it so designed the simple page of what could be displayed when listening to the audio on one of the players.

I made sure to consider everything that would be needed on an audio tape. As this would be something that could be done to the individuals pace, I included a play and pause, fast forward and rewind button, as well as a volume slider and tabs at the top to go to the next section of the exhibition. I also added a link to view images of the player. I thought it could be a bit of an added extra to the users experience of the app.
To show how this worked in context, I mocked up the 'situation' in the exhibit.
As a quick task I think that this has worked well, but I would have preferred more time so I could have developed this much more and created the full app instead of showing just how one page would look.

I then moved onto the potential way finding system. Keeping in with the tabs used in the website, I thought that these would work well as directional images for visitors to follow.

I mocked up two potential way finding points, one that could be a general sign situated at the entrance of the venue, pointing the visitors in the way of the exhibition.

The second would be one that would be more inside the venue, giving directions to a number of different features in the venue which would be of interest to the visitor if they were there for the exhibition.


I also did a few mock ups of potential t-shirts which could be sold in the gift shop in relation to the exhibition. A lot of these kinds of events do a variety of different t-shirts, ranging from ones with just the logo to use of photographic images.

I created six variations to show the potential that there is to create with all the imagery I have.

Photographic:
 Logo:
 I think the t-shirt works really well with the photographic images on, particularly the second one. The blue images really work well. I also think the red t-shirt works well. I'm not too sure about the blue colour, but I think that's more to do with the actual mock up than how it would look if printed.

I also mocked up a couple of ideas for how the retail bag could look. For this I did three variations.

Logo on white:

Logo on coloured bag:

Photographic image:

I actually really like the photographic bags. I wasn't sure that they would work as well as the bags with just the logo, but I actually think they look more professional and much more thought about. These could come in both blue and the red. I'm not keen on the coloured bags. While I thought that this was a good idea at first, I don't think they work well at all. The white bags or photographic bags are much stronger than the coloured bags, but it is good to see what the possibilities are.

At this point I have a lot of content and have taken all my photographs so all I need to do is create the design boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment