Tuesday 20 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2: Evaluation

This was by far the most enjoyable brief that I have done in this module and probably in the year. I found that being able to choose the subject, content and delivery methods, it gave me a good amount of freedom in creating something which pushes me as a designer and is something that I want to create instead of creating something to fulfil a set brief. With this, I felt that I took the opportunity and created some work which I can be proud of as it shows my progress for the whole of the second year. I think that it definitely shows how much I have come on as a designer since the beginning of the year, and course, and it has definitely given me motivation to continue with this. I think that working hard at it has given me the motivation to work harder in the future as I am happy with these outcomes and know how much work went into creating everything.

I particularly liked this brief because it brings together everything that I have learnt over the course of the year, from branding guidelines to proper text formatting. I think that a wide variety of my skills have been shown off in this brief and shows the potential that I have as a designer. I was ambitious at the start of this brief in outlining exactly what I wanted to achieve and how much I wanted  to create. I set myself the task of creating a full identity for the exhibition, from the branding right through to the way-finding.

While there are areas that I do wish I spent more time on, I do think that overall I have created a very well rounded response and one that I am happy with. Something that particularly surprised me about this brief was my ability to design around content which I didn't really have any knowledge of before. I had previously known about the NBA and some of the players and teams, but looking at it all as in depth as I did for this exhibition was surprisingly easy and enjoyable. I usually find research to be a bit tedious when it comes to looking for written content and how I can interpret this, however I found it enjoyable for this brief.

In terms of the physical items made, I created a wide range of material, mainly focussed on the editorial and promotional side of the exhibition. I thoroughly enjoyed creating the book and the supporting editorial works, such as the concertina and fold-out. I do wish that I had worked on these elements a bit more, but due to time restraints this wasn't possible. I do think that had I had more time, the supporting media would have been more considered and stronger, but I do think that overall everything worked together well and the branding was consistent. The book was the biggest surprise to me in this brief. As I had found somewhere which would print off a book at a quite cheap price, I decided on just doing as much of it as I wanted instead of worrying about how I would bind it and how feasible it was to me as a designer. This definitely allowed me to be more free in terms of what was included in the book and how this was all going to be viewed.

Something I think I should have done was refer to the brand guidelines a bit more and followed what they said. I did step outside of these a couple of times, which wasn't the right thing to do in terms of keeping the branding consistent, however I do think that some of these changes were good to the development of the brief. One of these was the mixing of the red and blue colours in the posters. While I hadn't specifically said I couldn't do this in the brand guidelines, I didn't necessarily say I could, so this was a bit of a thin line. I did notice a mistake on my letterhead in the fact that I obviously misread the guidelines in the placing of the logo. That is a bit annoying to notice right at the end of the brief when there is no time left to change this.

Another thing that I picked up on through the brief was that while I aimed it all at an American audience, I hadn't taken their spellings into consideration, so all of the spelling throughout is British English. As it is such a small detail it isn't the end of the world, but it is quite annoying to know that this small detail is something that stopped it being a fully executed brief for the audience. That being said, I do think that I did take the audience into consideration a lot more when it came to this brief and think that I designed everything around what they would expect to see and want to see at an exhibition like this.

The biggest disappointment of this brief was when I received my exhibition book from the printers and they had made an error in the printing in the fact that they had printed someone else's work at the back. To find this after spending so much time on the book was a huge disappointment. However, with this happening I think it definitely pushed me to make the rest of the work that bit stronger. Something that I do wish I had done was make use of the custom typeface I created. While I was initially excited to use this and did in the book, when it came to the smaller print collateral I didn't use it and this is a bit disappointing to me as I designed it with a real purpose, so it is a shame that I didn't put it to more use. If I could go back and redo a few things then I would definitely be including this typeface a lot more.

Overall I am very happy with the way this brief turned out as a whole. I think that I kept the branding consistent and kept with the values I started with in this area. I do think that I could take it further and develop everything a bit more, but I do think that as a set it is strong and I produced a lot of work for a lot of different areas to the exhibition. While I would have liked to produce more to make it a full exhibition, I definitely think I pushed myself in the time restraints and delivered a well thought out response with a lot of considered work.

No comments:

Post a Comment