Monday 12 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2: An Exhibition (6)

After finishing the exhibition book I moved onto the promotional side to the exhibition as I haven't done anything for this yet. My main idea was to do a variety of posters, flyers and a website. As there is a crit soon, I wanted to get as much of this done as possible and print them out so I could get some feedback and know how to move forward.

I started with the posters. I had a pretty clear idea as to what I wanted to do. I wanted to use the monotone images, have the logos and date, and leave it at that. I didn't want them to be too complicated as these would be seen out in public and would need to be striking on first look.

I first tried this idea in two very simple formats, using the red logo/text over a blue monotone image.
I think that it's a start, but definitely not as good as I thought it would look. I think the layout of the first one is definitely much better, and this is the layout which I would like to go with. However, that being said, I wanted to work with a variety of different layouts so each poster is individual, but only if the layouts are all as strong as one another.

I also tried out an idea of creating a poster which could be purchased in the gift shop. For this I thought it could be on the individual players, so visitors could buy their favourite.
I don't think that this poster was successful at all. It definitely looked much better in my head than it does actually made. I think it's a starting point though. At least I know what not to do. I included all the elements I wanted to, so will need to figure out a way of moving these around so they work much better as a design.

While I think that the first blue poster is the way forward, I'm not so keen on the blue as I think it is a bit washed out. When I tried to change the saturation of this, the red became very unreadable, so I wanted to find another way to make them work.

By fluke I tried out the following poster:
What I did was layer a red box over the top of the blue monotone image, and then changed the logos/text to work better over the top. I think that this looks so much better and so much more refined than it did in the previous design.

The issue with this poster, however, is that I'm pretty sure it goes against the brand guidelines that I have created for the exhibition.

I read over them, and found that there was nothing about it. However in the exhibition book, I had layered red areas over blue images to create the same colour, and as there was nothing specifically saying I couldn't do this, I decided that I would go forward with it as I think that it is a good development to the project.

With this colour decided, I created a second poster, however to make this one different, I split the sheet into four and put four images of one player.
I also did the same in the blue.
I do think that the mixed colour looks better, but the blue one does work well, and it gives me a variety of posters to work with and get some feedback on.

I am pretty positive about these posters and think they are a good place to start and develop from. I do think the first mixed colour one won't change much as I really like this one, but the rest definitely need work.

After doing these six posters I moved onto creating the website pages. As the crit is imminent I didn't want to spend so much time of these, instead getting as much content done as possible in a variety of different designs for the pages.

I wanted the design to be simple and quite similar to the way the exhibition book is and use the same images and text.

Website pages:

Home:
The NBA:
The Naismith:
The Players:

At this point I am happy with the progress of the website and of the promotional material as a whole. I created five boards for the crit which show all of my decisions and designs up to this point.

Boards:

No comments:

Post a Comment