Thursday 5 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design For Web (4)

CRIT
After the crit I took away the comments and explored some of the suggestions.
I took a screen shot of the website into Photoshop and changed the green to black to see how it looked.
My personal opinion on it is that I do prefer it in the green, and I don't think there is any more reason to put it in black than there is in green. So because of this I am going to keep it in the green as I have spent a lot of time designing it in the green & creating all the image files, which would all have to be recreated if I wanted to change the colour.

I started to add in the text content. I set the body copy font to Avenir Next as this is the one which I had planned to use.
Adding the content
Original text content
When previewing the page with the text, I found it quite hard to read as I didn't know how to change the text from the default setting to one of the other style settings. To try solve this, I decided to put the point size larger as it was quite small on the page to begin with.
Larger point size
I was still finding this hard to read to made it so it was in the 'small caps' setting, meaning that everything would be in uppercase, like I had designed for it to be.
Small caps
I then started playing around with the coding to try get the text thicker. I finally figured it out, changing the font weight and playing around with it until I was happy.
After adding all the content to the website, I viewed it in my web browner and thought that the Time Line looked a little out of place because of how small it was. It is quite hard to read the text on it as there is quite a lot to fit in such a small place.
I decided to change the timeline to be easier to read and a little bit more interactive than just looking at one image on the page.
If I had all the skills necessary to make this website to what I want it to be, the timeline would be fully interactive where each piece of text could be clicked and would lead to a different content page dedicated to the text clicked. However as I do not have these skills, I settled on just making it a larger timeline and a vertical one instead of horizontal, which will allow me to put more information on.
Timeline designed
My first attempt at putting the timeline on was unsuccessful as it squashed it all up for some reason.
I quickly fixed this by making the content box & container longer, and when I inserted the image again, it fit on the page perfectly, with a scroll bar to go down it.
Finished Website
I am relatively happy with the outcome I have produced and do think it shows off my understanding and skills gained in the web design software workshops. This brief has opened up new opportunities to me as a designer in something I didn't think I would be capable of doing, but I have found it quite an easy brief to do overall. There was a lot of work involved to make each page work, and a lot of preparation, but I think it definitely paid off and I have a website I am happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment