Friday 7 March 2014

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1: Main Competition Brief: Domino's (4)

After yesterday's session which was a focus on design boards, I decided that it was definitely best to look over the boards I had and potentially rethink the design of them in terms of the hierarchy and what will best represent my work.

Looking into the design board guidelines for this brief, there is no specific number of boards. I just have to upload a file of work, meaning I'm not going to be trying to squeeze the work to fit guidelines like I would have to with some of the D&AD briefs potentially. This gives me much more freedom in the way I lay out my work and how much I can show and the sizes these can be at.

The general images that I have been using on the previous boards are definitely the ones that I will be moving forward with in making these final boards, so looking over them, I need to decide the best course of action for the formatting of the boards.

I did find that I was having trouble fitting the work onto a landscape orientation, and if it did fit well, the text didn't necessarily. Because of this I have decided to move forward with designing the boards in a portrait orientation with a bar along the bottom where all the text can go. This means there is a large amount of room for the images and still a good place for the text to be placed in a consistent format.

I decided that the bar would be in blue and the text in white. Instead of having just white where the images will be, I added the dot pattern that is on a fair bit of the work I have designed. This means that it will add a bit more of the identity to the boards instead of just making it look like the images have been stuck there .

I took the images I had and adapted them to the new boards I had created.
While working on the second board I decided that the design really needed a bit of a revamp and needed to fit in much more with the whole Domino's identity, so I redesigned the layout and the typography.

Another change I want to make is to have an image which better reflects the app/website proposal I have designed, so instead of using the iPad image from the previous design boards, I created a phone page with all the opening text on to explain the reason for the app, and put this as the introductory page to this part of the campaign.
With the pizza boxes I found that in the square format I designed them in, they didn't really work on the previous boards because there wasn't really any context to them. They were essentially just four designs on a page which could have been anything.
I tried to mock the designs up onto images of a Domino's pizza box but found that it just didn't look professional at all, so it was definitely out of the question to continue with this. I then decided to just keep them as vectors as the majority of the boards were already vectors. Instead I drew around the shape of a Domino's box, which is unique in the way it folds up, and used this to put the design in, and it looked much better than the photoshopped designs.
At this point I have done the design boards that I wanted and think I have included all the work that is necessary to show.
Looking over them, there is a bit of an inconsistency in a couple of the boards, particularly the ones with photographs on. As the majority are vector-based, these boards do look a little out of place. After trying a fair few variations in how I could make these work, I decided that the only way was to make them work in the same way as the vectors, but cutting them down and taking away the backgrounds.
In terms of the 50 reasons book, this was very hard as all the photographs taken are cut off at the edges so wouldn't fit in very well anyway. To solve this issue I decided on using a magazine page mock-up and adapting these pages to fit the mock up. This was very successful and immediately looked far better.
As the edges of the mock up are white and were hard to see over the dot background, I added a blue boarder around to distinguish them, taking influence from the pizza boxes.
In terms of the leaflet page, I definitely wanted to use the photographs I had taken as I think they are a very good representation of the work. As the photograph of the flyers had clear sharp edges, it made it very easy for me to cut out the background. I then added a blue boarder to make it more consistent with the other designs.
At this point I looked back over the boards and got a bit of feedback from a couple of people on the thoughts that I had about them at this time. My initial thought was that a few images needed a revamp like I had done to that one image previously, a thought which was agreed upon. 
Also discussed was the placing of images on the first two pages. The first page is just describing the brief and the second is introducing my concept. At this point I've got the concept image on the first page and not with the text, so after discussion I swapped the two images around, agreeing that the second image was a lot more memorable and stuck in your mind more, therefore it should be the first image.

At this point I also went back to the poster promotions to revamp it with the developed ideas I had. Previously I had thought that these posters were a bit plain as they were mainly type based, but now I feel confident in my knowledge and understanding of the Domino's branding to be able to design them to a better standard. I didn't change much, but made it more visually interesting, adding a banner and editing the colour of the text to fit in more with how I am seeing the identity of this campaign now.
I think this works much better because it has a bit more of Domino's about it. From this I redid the bus stop mock up I had to incorporate this design.

Design boards:
At this point I am much happier with the design boards and definitely think I am heading in the right direction in terms of showing my work off well for submission. I'm still not sure about the design on the second page so will revisit this, and know I need to come up with a final, very memorable board to sum up my response to this brief. For the minute though, I am very happy with the progress I have made and have found that in doing these design boards it has made me develop my designs to be more visually striking and memorable.

I added a final board and saved them as a PDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment