Wednesday 5 March 2014

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 2: Oasis (3)

After the crit I took into consideration the feedback that we were given about the typography element to the brief. The feedback given was a good point in the fact that the bolder words should make the message without needing to read the smaller words, making it easily make sense close up and from a distance.

I took this feedback and applied the changes to the type so the more important words were in the bolder typeface. I also made this typeface a bit thinner so it wasn't quite so bold. I put these all over the blue background for the minute until we decide what colours to use for each of the background.
After doing this Daisy and I met up to figure out the background, the colours and how we were going to put the images together.

We started with just using the blue background and keeping the text pink, trying to find an illustration which worked well.
We first tried the green, however quickly decided that we definitely preferred the idea of using illustrations that used the colour of the background and text instead of adding in a third colour.
With this in mind we switched the image to one that was pink with blue detail.
We tried it on both the backgrounds that we had made. The attempt I created is very sharp and vibrant, however some of the lines are a bit too noticeable to be a watercolour effect. Daisy's version was a lot more subdued and faded from white to the blue because we found earlier on that the illustrations worked better on a lighter background, however the text worked better on a darker background.

We then layered our two ideas over the top of each other and found that this made the right balance. It has strong colours, but because of the faded effect these colours are subdued a bit more and overall becomes quite a balanced background.

Once we were happy with the way the background worked we tried out a few colour variations to see how we could use the three colours to make the messages into a set.
The two above are our initial ideas. The pink works well on both colours, however we liked the idea of the three colours rotating around so it was a much more solid set to our concept.

We then tried out different colour combinations to make this happen.
We found that there was issues with this. The green didn't sit on the blue well, and the blue didn't work with the green, meaning our rotating concept wouldn't work unless we changed the colours to some that did work.

We tried white text to see how that would work.
However we quickly agreed that the white was a bit boring and washed out compared to when the text was in colour.

After a discussion about this, we decided that the best way to move forward was to keep the colours we had and just use the pink lettering on both the blue and green background, and use the blue lettering on the pink backgrounds. Although our rotating colour idea didn't work, we still feel the aesthetics will make up for that.

We decided that the best way to move forward was to have three messages in each colour as there are nine all together. We changed the colours of each message to suit our plan and added the illustrations Daisy had completed up to this point.
Once we had done this we both took a copy of the files and decided that we would move forward with our own individual parts of this brief before the next crit.

The main element that I am doing on my own is the way of how these messages would be distributed over the Oasis website. I am also doing the Photoshop mock-ups as I am more confident in this software than Daisy.

I had previously collected a few screenshots of the current Oasis website:
However when I went back on today, I found that it had been updated for the new season's collection, with the whole aesthetic changing.
This isn't an issue at all but it was good to see that Oasis completely changed the format of their website and are open to big changes like this.

After looking at their website I started working on designing how these messages could be displayed. My initial idea is that the general layout of the website won't change solely for this campaign, more that these messages will be integrated into the existing website. I decided that the first Oasis website design would be the best layout to integrate the messages into. I liked the idea of the slider on the front page.

General layout:
I changed the type to the typeface that we have chosen for the body copy.

I then added the first message:
Instead of this just being a random piece of information on a page I decided on adding a link to details on the message.
I tried it in the green for a bit on contrast.
The text was quite hard to read because it was too thin so I tried the type a bit thicker.
I then superimposed it onto a mac screen.
After this I moved onto the next one as I wanted to have one design in each colour.
I also superimposed this. Unfortunately for this design I've not got an Illustration from Daisy yet.
I then did the next one in pink.
At the minute I think these web designs are ok but do need some development in the future.

I then moved onto working onto some large scale printed media. I took one of the messages and added a footer to give the advert context while out-store.
I also did a design superimposed into an Oasis store just to show the initial stages of how we are thinking these messages could be displayed.
From this we made a few design boards to show at the next crit.

No comments:

Post a Comment