Monday 24 March 2014

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 2: Oasis (6)

After the final crit I decided to review the design boards and try rework them into something a bit more visually pleasing. At the minute they are quite bold and the images are quite overpowering. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in this case I think there needs to be a balance between the images and white space as this will give the boards a much more considered and sophisticated look.

I decided on sticking with the landscape layout and broke the sheet down into three sections, a header, the image section & a footer and text section, separating these with lines.

While inputting the information/images I found that the header was quite uneven because it only had the Oasis logo on one side, so I wanted something to go on the other side, like the campaign name.

I decided to take this as the opportunity to try bring the campaign together. This has been the main issue since starting the boards as we had found it hard to work out an order or anything, because we found that it was very easy to get through this brief without naming the campaign to bring it all together.

I went over a few ideas before deciding on calling it 'Shop easy'. This is pretty self explanatory of the campaign and is very simple, and given there isn't much time left to submit this, I thought it was the best thing to go with.

I then worked on designing a sort of identity for it. I wanted to incorporate the shape pattern that Daisy had used on the illustrations, as well as a flat colour too.

I tried out a couple of variations of the same identity:
While I quite liked it, I found that it was quite hard to see the 'easy' over the top of anything I put it on, so tried it with an outline.
The outline doesn't look great and doesn't work particularly well either, so I decided on trying to take a different angle on it and incorporate both the typefaces and put it in a circle.
I first tried it in just flat colours but thought it was quite boring so added in the pattern.
I think this works much better, however the text doesn't sit well, mainly because of the 'p' and I'm not too sure about the 'easy' being in the larger typeface.

I flipped it over so the 'shop' was now in the larger typeface. I think this worked much better. I then tried two variations of it, one with full colour and the second with the circle at a lower opacity.
I liked the way both of them worked so was undecided. I then moved onto the idea of how this would be placed on the design boards. I tried it in the corner as a circle, but this came out very small and not readable at all, so wanted to have a more horizontal design to place there.

To do this, I took the existing design and modified it so it would work as a horizontal design instead of a circle. I found that this worked well apart from the 'easy' looked a bit uneven in the shape as there was quite a large gap between the first three letters of the word. I added in a couple of lines to see if that would help make the design sit a bit better.
I think this worked much better and sat well on the design boards as a little header.

Chosen logo design:
I then worked on putting the content into the design boards.
At this point in time I am happy with how the design boards look.

I presented them to Daisy and she agreed that they looked much better than previously. One thing that we agreed on was that the last page looked a bit strange as it was a bit of out character compared to the other superimposed images used.

With this in mind we agreed that Daisy would go and get us a couple of different outdoor promotional photographs and I would superimpose the advertisements on.

Daisy came back with a variety of different photographs and I chose two which were on slightly different formats to put the advertisements onto. I found that there was a bit of trouble wit the fact that they both had bars going across them, but they still worked well once I designed around them.
Once I added these images in, Daisy and I looked over everything and read through to make sure the body copy made sense. With a few amendments we decided it was time to submit.

Final Boards:

Submitting:


No comments:

Post a Comment